The Quinta is listed as a ‘gentlemen’s seat’ in the Chirk Castle records in the 17th century. In the 18th century it was owned by the West family.
In 1798 Frederick West married Maria Myddelton, one of the three Myddelton heiresses of Chirk Castle. He built a mock Stonehenge around 1840, in the field behind the games field, which can be seen from Quinta drive.
In 1855 the Quinta estate was bought by Thomas Barnes, the MP for Bolton, Lancashire, a cotton manufacturer, who is described as ‘receiving parental training of an exemplary Christian character.’ He demolished the old limestone hall and built a new hall described in 1856 as ‘a handsome mansion.’
Under Thomas Barnes the Quinta became a self-sufficient estate with its own railway line bringing in coal either from local mines or the nearby Shrewsbury-Chester line. It also had its own gasworks and a fire engine was stationed in what is now Severn Lodge.